Organic Meadow Cottage Cheese Gnocchi With Squash Sauce, Wild Leeks & Toasted Hazelnuts
- 500g Organic Meadow Cottage Cheese
- 1 large Organic Meadow large egg
- 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- pinch Salt
- 1 cup Organic flour
- 15g Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Organic Meadow unsalted butter
- 5 Wild leeks, stalks and greens chopped and kept separately
- 2 tsp Organic butternut squash puree (baby food or store bought works too)
- 1 cup Stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 Whey from cottage cheese
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Chopped, roasted hazelnuts (optional)
Place cottage cheese in cheese cloth, tie into a bundle with string and hang over night in your refrigerator so that whey drains into a bowl. Save whey for the sauce.
Bring 3 litres of salted water to a simmer on the stove and have a bowl of ice water ready to receive gnocchi. In the bowl of a food processor, blend cottage cheese until creamy. Add remaining ingredients to cheese and blend until everything is incorporated. Scoop cheese mixture into a piping bag with a medium pastry tip (or use a zip lock bag and cut one of the corners to mimic a piping bag). Begin piping cheese mixture into simmering water and cutting them off with a pairing knife when they reach 2 centimeters in length. Keep dipping the pairing knife into the hot water to prevent the gnocchi from sticking. Allow the gnocchi to cook for about three minutes then remove them with a strainer and place into the ice water. Once the gnocchi are cool strain them, toss in olive oil and set aside.
In a medium frying pan melt the butter and sweat the wild leek bulbs. Add the squash puree and stir with a rubber spatula to combine. Add the stock, whey and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the cottage cheese gnocchi and wild leek greens to the sauce and toss to coat evenly. Spoon gnocchi onto a platter and garnish with hazelnuts.