Ideal Storage Conditions: Keep refrigerated
Shelf Life in Ideal Storage Conditions: Depends on the age of the cheese
- Refrigerate solid cheese in its original wrap until opened. After opening, rewrap the cheese tightly in moisture proof wrap, such as foil wrap or an airtight container.
- Serve cheese at the recommended serving temperature, which varies according to type.
- Do not store cheese with other strong-smelling foods. As a cheese breathes it will absorb other aromas and may spoil.
- If you can’t use a whole cheese at once, cut off only what you can eat and keep the rest in the refrigerator. Moving cheese back and forth from the refrigerator only hastens moisture loss and spoilage.
- Generally, cheese should not be frozen. You will alter the flavour and texture and it will become crumbly with freezing. Howeer, grated cheese keeps well in the freezer and can be used straight from the freezer for cooking.
- The shelf life of cheeses varies from one type to another. Generally, the softer the cheese, the shorter the shelf life.